Are you self-sabotaging your efforts?

By: Linden Porter

In today’s post, I am going to investigate this interesting question:  “Are you self-sabotaging your efforts?”

I am frequently told by my clients that they have “Tried everything to fix their problems”.

My response to this is:

  1. You have done everything except the thing which works
  2. Trying won’t get you very far

How you talk to yourself – and by that I mean the way you think problems through – will have a massive impact on how you behave and the actions you take.

Let’s take this a step further:  If you tell yourself you are going to try and do something your sub-conscious knows it has several options:

  • not to bother at all
  • get around to it sometime in the future
  • feel it’s going to be hard work so resist as long as possible
  • plus a few other disempowering options

If you tell yourself I am going to do it, your sub-conscious has now had an instruction and calls on your resources to take action.

I will give you an example:

I have had a task I set myself over the last few weeks.  It required me to get out my sewing machine, fabric and other materials as I had decided I would make face masks for my nearest and dearest!  The problem was I kept saying to myself I would try to do this.  The result is several weeks have gone by with no action by me at all.

I was baffled!  I knew I was perfectly capable of carrying out the task.  It just felt tedious and a chore.  I needed action.

I changed my language from I will try to I will.

The result was almost instantaneous.  I took action!  Masks have been made and the process has been fun and creative!

Are you self-sabotaging your efforts?

Let us look at the following ideas:

  • I will try to learn a foreign language, versus I am going to learn a foreign language
  • I will try to clean the house today versus I am going to clean the house today

Notice how you feel about each of the two options and which one inspires you more.

How we talk to ourselves has a massive impact on our focus and how we take action



Source: https://lindenporter.co.uk/are-you-self-sabotaging-your-efforts/

The article is owned by Linden Porter. Visit site here for other interesting topics about marriage, love and relationship.


Share Us Your Thought!

You are invited to share your thought related to the topic of this article in the comment box. You can share your experiences or tips for other readers.

Would You Share The Post?

And if you find it's interesting post, please share it to your friends. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Podcast Ep 204: Let’s Talk About Family Estrangement

By: NATALIE This week’s episode of The Baggage Reclaim Sessions  is on a subject I’ve been thinking about for a while: estrangement. 2020 ...